Sunday, May 1, 2011

April 27th 2011 Tornados

If you live in Tuscaloosa, April 27th 2011 will always be a day that you will remember. It was a sad day where many people lost their homes and loved ones. A day that we all will never forget…

I remember waking up early on that Wednesday morning to find out that the schools were closed due to the coming storms that would be arriving that afternoon. Colton’s preschool was closed as well, so I called into work and told them that I would have to stay home with him that morning. After waking up, Colton and I grabbed some breakfast at Chick fil A and played at the house until around lunch. I’ve never been a huge fan of storms, so we decided to head over to my parents house that afternoon. Chris was working at the church and the last place I wanted to be was at our house alone with little man when the storms arrived. Another factor of heading to my parents was that their neighbor Scott had a storm pit we could get in if the weather got really bad. I remember arriving at my parents with the sun still shining. If the storms were coming, they seemed far away because the weather was beautiful and Colton was able to play outside for most of the early afternoon. Dad, Colton and I even headed into town to grab some ice cream and smoothies at Dairy Queen around 1:30pm before we put Colton down for a nap. Once we arrived back home, Colton laid down for a nap while Dad and I watched the storms on TV. It wasn’t much longer, when we watched one tornado rip through Cullman. It was unreal and huge!! Mom shortly arrived home and Chris called within a few minutes to inform me he was heading our way as well. It wasn’t much longer when James Span said that everyone in the Coker area needed to find shelter soon. We then all loaded up (except dad) and headed to Scott’s storm pit along with Donna, Carter, Scott’s daughter and granddaughters. If you know my dad, you would know he has never been a fan of storm pits. He told us he was going to stay at home; however about 5 minutes after we left he entered the storm pit as well. He said he saw the tornado on the TV entering Tuscaloosa County and that it was huge. Luckily, the storm passed us, but hit Tuscaloosa hard. 15th Street, parts of McFarland and Alberta were gone! I remember feeling numb the next few days trying to imagine what just took place in a city that I have loved my entire life. So many people lost lives, homes and loved ones from one tornado on April 27th. Even though it was a terrible event, my community has pulled together and it is simply amazing to see so many people helping others out there. I also have to remind myself, that my God is sooooo much more powerful than that one tornado and that He is Faithful! He will be with us each and every step of the way!

0 comments: