Thursday, October 22, 2009

Hand, Mouth, Foot Disease

Turns out that Colton has HMFD. It's a common rash/sore disease in young children that is on their mouth, hands, feet and bottom. Sunday afternoon he started running fever (that's how it starts out), so Monday the Whitakers took him to the doctor. At the time, he didn't have a rash or any sores and they thought it was just allergies. When I picked him up Monday night, he already had a few small sores on his mouth and nose. I called the doctor yesterday and they gave him some ointment to go on the rash (we thought it was from chewing on his blanket and from having a runny nose). However, last night after getting Colton out of the bathtub, I noticed it was all over his hands. I quickly checked his entire body and found a few more spots on his bottom and feet. Chris did some research last night and found out about HMFD, so I called the doctor this morning. As soon as I told them that it spread to his hands and feet, they knew what he had. There's nothing that they can do for it and they said it could take at least a week before it disappears. The sores on Colton don't seem to be too bad, so hopefully it won't take long to clear up. Say a special prayer for Colton.

1 comments:

Brandi said...

Poor thing. My son also had this a few months back the blister like sores lasted about a week and then they were gone.