Friday, February 19, 2010

Update on Colton

I've already shared the following with some of my friends, but I really wanted to post it on here as well to give everyone else an update on Colton.

I had a meeting last night with Early Intervention and it went great! I finally got some questions answered that I've been worried about and it really made me feel so much better.

They told me that the only reason Colton qualified for the program was because of his speech delay. Prayer Answered!!! She said that everything else looked great and that a lot of the signs that Chris and I have noticed are probably all related to his speech delay. As of right now we are going to start a program called “Special Instructions” that works with the child, parents, and grandparents. We will be doing this program twice a month for the next year. The instructor will come into the home and will show us how to work with Colton to get the outcome that we are hoping for. I’m looking forward to this, because at times, I get so frustrated and discouraged because I don’t know how to communicate with Colton. We’re praying that this will help us all communicate with Colton better. He will also be undergoing a hearing test and a speech evaluation in the next 2 weeks. We will then see if he needs speech therapy and if so, he will participate in that once or twice a month as well. The two ladies that I met with last night were so encouraging and understanding. They both believe in the program and feel that we will notice an improvement in Colton within a few months. We’ve made some goals and we are going to work as hard as we can to help Colton achieve these.

Please continue to keep us all in your prayers. I know that it’s going to be a long journey, but I’m looking forward to seeing Colton make some progress. Thanks so much for all the advice and encouragement, it really does mean the world to me.

Chris and I have been so blessed to have such great friends and family in our lives. You will never know how much your words of encouragement and your prayers have meant to our family. Since we've shared our concerns about Colton with so many of you the past few weeks, I have felt the prayers that you have prayed and a heavy burden has been taken off of my shoulders. Thanks for listening to me, for giving me advice and for praying for our family. We love you all soooo much!

1 comments:

Mandy said...

Tara, my mom works in Early Intervention with the Alabama Institute for the Deaf and Blind. If you ever have any questions or need anything, let me know.

Colton is lucky to have such wonderful parents! I'm sure he'll do great!